If you follow me on Twitter, then you may be aware that after several years on said social media site I am rapidly approaching my 100,000th tweet. Normally this would be an achievement of dubious distinction – though I am friendly with people who have had two and three times as many tweets. However I have decided to put this opportunity to good use.
Thanks to a suggestion from my good friend, the redoubtable American Papist, I am going to auction off my 100,00th tweet for charity.
Here are the rules:
1. I will reserve my 100,00th tweet for the auction winner, and will post whatever tweet you want. Your only restrictions are to please keep it clean, unoffensive, and under 140 characters.
2. Think creatively! For example, you might want me to wish someone a happy birthday or anniversary; promote your business or blog, or just have me say something amusing and unexpected. You are only limited by your imagination and by generally accepted standards of good taste. The resulting tweet will reach not only my Twitter followers, but also readers of my blogs, and listeners to the Catholic Weekend show.
3. Bids are in $5.00 increments.
4. To bid, please tweet to me at @wbdnewton using the hashtag #100KBilly. If you are not on Twitter, get someone who is to bid on your behalf. You will then be able to do a search for that hashtag or look on my timeline to see what the current high bid is.
5. For the sake of clarity, I will also periodically announce the highest current bid both on Twitter and via updates on this blog post.
6. The auction will end at 12:01 AM Eastern on this coming Saturday, February 9, 2013.
7. The winner will be announced on the “Catholic Weekend” show at 10:00 AM Eastern on Saturday, February 9, 2013, as well as on Twitter and this blog.
8. The charity to benefit must be one which we can both agree to. Ideally I would like to help a Catholic charitable organization, such as the Little Sisters of the Poor, who have homes for the elderly poor in cities around the U.S. and all over the world.
Even if in the end my tweets are only worth two or three bids, I will be beyond happy. To have the opportunity to help out a worthy cause in a creative way, rather than just let this moment pass by, is a great privilege. Thank you in advance both for your readership, and for your generosity to those in need.
The Little Sisters of the Poor care for the impoverished and elderly
in many cities across the U.S. and around the world
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/7/13 6:30 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/albertagooner/status/299633028207087617
Current High Bid: $150.00
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/7/13 4:00 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/PatGohn/status/299620996636356608
Current High Bid: $100.00
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/6/13 6:30 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/annie3592/status/299278232870592512
Current High Bid: $75.00
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/6/13 5:00 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/mariannasipod/status/299260614692438016
Current High Bid: $60.00
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/6/13 1:30 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/mariannasipod/status/299212743507050497
Current High Bid: $50.00
AUCTION UPDATE: 2/6/13 12:00 pm Eastern
Current Leader: https://twitter.com/bymags/status/299182762664005632
Current High Bid: $25.00